Please excuse our mess as we redecorate.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Homemade Baby Legwarmers

Last week I met a super cool blogging Mama who after I complimented her little girl’s tights (as a Mom to boys all the pretty, feminine nuances of little girls always catch my eye) she told me that she’d made them, and they actually weren’t tights but leg warmers.

I immediately perked up because I absolutely adore the Baby Legs brand, having forked over $12 a pair for Copper I remember thinking to myself the first time I put them on his little legs how simple these were, and subsequently had a “Why didn’t I think of that” moment. I also thought that they were probably very easy to make, but never looked into it.

The super cool blogging Mama sent me over to her blog where she provides step by step instructions on how to make your own pair of baby legwarmers.

Last night I made 5 pair, from socks I purchased on clearance at Target. I couldn’t figure how to sew step 7 (I think you use the same technique you would when sewing a circle, but since I don’t know how to do that – I am going to look it up in a minute) I simply folded over the foot part minus the heel and toe and sewed from there because that was wide enough to fit around my sewing machine. The end result was pretty great, and my minor alteration actually fits perfectly around Coppers chubby thighs not cutting off his circulation as his Baby Legs brand can do.

I didn’t take pictures but if you’d like to see great instructions check them out at Crunchy Monkey’s DIY Babylegs Blog.

Honestly these are great in the winter. Copper has a pair on today underneath his pants, they help keep his ankles and calves warm when being carried. Mo also liked them on his arms pretending to have “super power” arms.

If you wanted to be really green about making them you could recycle a pair of your own socks, or if you’re like me and have a basket for mismatched socks (I think my dryer likes to have them for lunch) then you can make mismatched ones and be really unique and funky.

They make diaper changes a breeze, protect tender knees of little crawlers, and are so easy for potty trainers because they don’t have to worry about pulling down tights as well.

If you’re great with a sewing machine or even if you’re not (like me, who also probably needs a new machine) these are an easy and simple sewing project. After I got over a technical problem with my bobbin (the thread kept breaking), it took me about five minutes a pair.



Here's Copper happy and cute as a button in his new legwarmers.






0 comments:

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : background image by Patrick Hennessey